Our Jones Family Experience

Monday, June 6, 2011

Our First Outing

An essential part of dealing with a prolonged separation is keeping busy. The girls and I have been doing pretty well staying busy by going to Wal-Mart, the grocery store, and hanging out with friends. I was starting to go a little stir crazy though and wanted to get out of town for the day.


After a friend recommended Shelburne Farms, I decided to make it out first outing since Gideon left. When Gideon is home, it is two on two and not a major deal to go someplace new. The thought of taking both the girls by myself was a little daunting.

I’m a planner, so I thought through everything we might need and what might be just extra stuff to deal with. I began debating on whether or not to bring the stroller. I knew with all of the animals and things to see, neither of the girls would want to ride in it, but it is so nice for carrying all of our extra stuff.

I went back and forth on it and in the end I decided to bring it. At times I was really glad I had it. It was great during lunch when I had snacks and drinks. It also provided a place for Malia to sit while we were eating. At other times, I wasn’t so happy with it, particularly when I was trying to hold Malia and lift the stroller onto the trailer by myself.

Both times I got on the trailer I didn’t get any help. The rest of the day though, people were great and very eager to help. It really eased my mind knowing that I could take the girls places and get help from strangers.

We had as much fun at Shelburne Farms as my friend suggested. Hadley was drawn to the lambs, while Malia and I enjoyed the chickens. The two week old piglets were adorable, and the bunny was one of the biggest I’ve ever seen. We had some bad moments, but those occur even when Gideon is with us. Overall though we had a great day and it gave me more confidence that I can take the girls places by myself.

On the trailer going to the barn.

This chicken loved Malia.  It sat beside her for a long time and
followed her whenever she crawled away.

Hadley petting "Malia's chicken"

Two week old piglets

Using the mini wheelbarrow

Having fun

Being goofy during lunch

Petting the lamb named Mustard

Malia, Hadley, and Daddy Doll

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home